From the very beginning of all of this, we've been told the NICU is like a roller coaster. Last night we had another dip on our "roller coaster". We left the hospital early to try to beat the bad weather home. This was at about 4:30. We thought we'd go to bed early and get some rest (Ha!). A little after 8 PM, we got a call from the hospital saying that Katie was sick, and we should come up. I was in the middle of a shower, but we were out the door in about 5 min. The drive seemed to take forever, especially with all the rain.
By the time we got there, Katie had stabilized. She had started having a real hard time breathing and she was having Brady episodes (irregular heartbeat). Her lung x-ray showed she had a lot of fluid in her lungs. They increased her vent. settings, ran some blood tests, swabbed and tested some of her secretions and gave her a round of antibiotics. All the tests came back OK (no known infections). We stayed at the hospital most of the night.
She's doing better today. Her lungs look and sound better and her blood work looked good. I didn't kangaroo with her today, just in case she wasn't completely over whatever gave her problems last night.
I hate how fast her condition can change. It makes it that much harder to leave her and I get nervous each time the phone rings.
On a brighter note, Katie now officially weighs 2 pounds! She'll be one month old tomorrow!
Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Grandma doesn't like roller coasters either! I am so relieved that she is back to her usual self. Yeah for 2 pounds!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy 1 month old birthday Katie. We hope you have a good day today and that you're able to kangaroo with Mommy. Thinking of you Jessie, call me if you need anything.
ReplyDeletexoxoxo-
Melissa
www.caringbridge.org/tx/katsierane