I would have been 28 weeks pregnant if Katie were still inside me. I used to look at the pregnancy books each week to find out what going on inside of me and to see what she looked like. We were supposed to go for our 4D sonogram this weekend, but we won't need that appointment! Like our nurse today said, I can see her now in real-life living color!
Katie had a pretty good day today. She kept desatting and high satting quite a bit, but she was able to recover by herself without any help on most of them. (Desatting is when her blood oxygen is low, hisatting is when her blood oxygen is too high.) She went up to 7cc of milk today. They are going to start weaning her off of some of her lipids and nutritional fluids, so she'll just be getting milk soon.
Here's 4 things we've discovered she does NOT tolerate at all: 1) a wet/dirty diaper, 2) getting her temperature taken, 3) build-up in her mouth (saliva) and 4) being on her left side. I wish we could have the same roation of nurses. That way, they could become familiar with the babies and know what they need and like. Instead, we get a new nurse almost every shift. We've had a few good repeat nurses, but we've also had a few who didn't seem to be "into it". We've started having to ask for Katie to have her mouth suctioned, or her diaper checked or her position changed, even when it's NOT SCHEDULED in her chart. They try to limit her "touch time" so she doesn't get overstimilated, but my point is she gets overstimilated when she's bothered by a wet diaper, or a full mouth, etc.
Thanks to everyone who has checked in on us, or sent a card, or who is praying for our family. I think it's working--she may not make a big step forward everyday, but she isn't getting worse, and in the NICU that's an accomplishment in itself!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Jess, Just jumped on to check on Katies progress over the last couple of days. We are in MASS for the wedding. Wanted to let you know that you and she were in everyones thoughts (even Andrews). We love you guys much.
ReplyDeleteI will add in more compassionate nurses while praying.
mary
Katie is already a little girl with very definite likes and dislikes! She knows how to let folks know it, too. I agree with your comment about the nurses needing to be more aware of her preferences. Maybe we need to make a "Katie Doesn't Like" list and tape it to her isolete! Do you think some of the nurses would get the message?
ReplyDeleteEvery day she is getting stronger and that is what we need. Stay strong, Jess. Love ya! Mom
I agree with your Mom, you can take charge of your little girls care by telling the nurses what she needs. Don't take any stuff off of them either.
ReplyDeleteI hope you are saving your entries into this blog to share with Katie when she is older. You are a good writer and I think she would like to know how good a mother and father she realy has when she is older.
Dad
I am glad to hear she is getting better every day. Those nurses better listen to what she is trying to tell them. If they dont I know you will let them know. Hope to get to see you soon.
ReplyDeleteYeppp, she's a Stembridge. Can't wait 'til she's crawlin' 'round an' spoilable (even though she already is pretty spoiled :P)
ReplyDeleteLove ya'll
-Amber
I completely understand what your saying about the nurses. We were fortunate to have had a little consistency in our rotation, but there were still some you wondered about. Don't be afraid to communicate concerns to the charge nurse. We even at one point had to "request" that a specific nurse be taken off of Rayven's rotation. Sounds harsh, but it was better for all of us. We'll keep praying for you.
ReplyDelete-Kevin