Katie had another big day today. Accomplishment #1: she was able to maintain her blood pressure without the dopamine! Accomplishment #2: she was taken off the oscillator ventilator and put on a conventional ventilator. Even better, right now, the machine gives her 20 breaths per minute and she takes about 30-40 on her own. This means she is doing most of the work. I just hope that it's not too much too soon and that it doesn't wear her out. They are watching her right lung b/c it had some fluid in it. Earlier today, she got another blood transfusion. When they put that much new blood into her body, other fluids tend to accumulate in her lungs.
I had my follow-up appointment today for my incision check. Everything looks good. The swelling will take some time to go away, but I think I'm about over that hump. I'll have to go back to my regular dr. for a blood pressure follow-up. It's still a little on the high side, but better than it has been.
I'm anxious to take more baby pictures, but we don't want to use the flash, and without the flash, they all come out dark. I might see about putting the goggles back on for a few minutes tomorrow. At least maybe you could see how she's starting to fill out.
Our baby girl is 2 weeks old today. In some ways, it seems like she can't already be 2 weeks old, and at other times, it seems like we've been at that hospital for way more than 2 weeks. The more we get to know the other families that have babies in the NICU, I realize that we really have it pretty good. There's one baby that has just been diagnosed with cancer, and another one was just diagnosed as having no thyroid. That's just 2 families that we've really gotten to know. Heaven knows Katie hasn't had it easy, with all the IVs, catheters, tests and pain, but I'm thankful that our setbacks have been minor compared to some of the other babies. That said, I still feel a tinge of jealousy when I see other moms taking their babies home, or even just holding them in the NICU. I know my time will come, but I'm sure not good with waiting.
Monday, April 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

None of us are very good at waiting! Katie is making progress and that is what is important. Knowing what some of the other families are dealing with in addition to having their baby be premature, I feel we are very fortunate. I understand what you mean about wanting to hold her. You will have trouble putting her down! Love you three.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to hear that Katie had another big day. It is good to here you are better too Jessica. I keep you all in my prayers and I love you. Aunt Kay
ReplyDeleteHEY KEVIN AND JESSICA THIS IS SHUN AGAIN I POSTED A COMMENT LAST NIGHT BUT I GUESS I DIDN'T DO SOMETHING RIGHT. I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU ALL KNOW THAT WE ARE PRAYING FOR YOU AND THAT IF YOU NEED ANYTHING TO LET US KNOW. MAY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS YOU AND YOUR LITTLE ANGLE AS ALWAYS.
ReplyDeleteI am glad to hear that ya"ll had another big day an that you are feeling better too. we cant wait till we can see some more pictures of katie.
ReplyDeleteKevin & Jessica,
ReplyDeleteWanted you to know that you have a "cousin" in Georgia praying you and Katie. I found you via blogger search . Looking forward to hearing more good news!
Bob Stembridge, south Georgia