Blogger Layouts

Sunday, April 1, 2007

Good news!

We got unexpected good news today! First of all, they took Katie off of her oscillating ventilator. That's the machine that gave her rapid puffs of air. It was really loud and jiggled her around a lot. I can't remember the name of the machine she's on now, but it lets her breathe as much as she can on her own, then helps her when she needs it. Her respiratory therapist says she's on low oxygen and doing most of the work by herself. This is extremely good news! Next, we found out that her PDA valve closed already. (That's the valve between her heart and lungs.) It only took 1 round of meds to close it. This means we get to avoid surgery. Since the valve closed, she got to go on and get her first feeding today. She's only "eating" 1cc of milk every 3 hours, but it's a big step. She will eat through a tube for a while. Several of the other moms I've met have told me that once they start on milk, they grow fast. I'm ready! Oh--when the nurse fed her, she warned that Katie probably wouldn't finish digesting the milk by time for the next feeding. Well, she's got her momma's appetite. All of the milk was gone from her tummy by time for her next feeding. Our last bit of news is that she can open both eyes now.

Several people have asked about going to the hospital to visit. Kevin is taking vacation for this coming week, so we'll be at the hospital most of the time. If you're interested in coming, call before you drive out there. (Nobody can go back to visit without Kevin or me.) The NICU nurse has mentioned that people have come by looking for us when we weren't there. We can't have the cell phones on at all while we're with Katie, but we check them when we take breaks.

6 comments:

  1. I love you three! Try and get some rest. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there guys. I wanted to let you know you have love and prayers coming to you from Maryland.

    Love,
    Mary (Weldon)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessie, Kevin & Katie~SO glad to read the good news today. We're praying for you guys, and Jessie, you know Braxton, he's worried!!
    I will try to come and see you one day this week.

    Keep your chin up~

    Melissa
    www.caringbridge.org/tx/katsierane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin & Jessica
    I am so excited to hear the good news. We will keep you in all our prayers. The Depot team will be so excited when I show them the pics. Everyone has been asking about Katie. Please keep me updated so I can share with the team. God Bless you and the Family.Keep your spirits up. Kevin if you need anything just give me a call.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey ya'll.. Just think, in no time, Katie'll be out there terrorizing us all.. and I can't wait :P. Jess, I hope your battle scar gets better.. we're praying for the three of ya. Katie's got that fightin' streak in her.. just like her cousin :D.

    Love ya'll,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  6. HEY KEVIN, JESSICA, AND BABY KATIE I JUST WANTED TO LET U GUYS KNOW THAT WE ARE THINKING ABOUT YOU AND THAT U ALL ARE IN OUR PRAYERS. WE ALL KNOW THAT GOD IS WATCHING OVER HIS LITTLE ANGEL AND THAT SHE IS WELL TAKEN CARE OF. I CAN'T SAY THAT I KNOW HOW IT FEELS BUT I TELL YOU GOD DOES NOT PUT NO MORE ON US THAN WE CAN BARE. SO KEEP ON TRUSTING IN GOD CAUSE HE IS THE CREATOR OF ALL THINGS AND THERE IS NO SICKNESS OR PAIN THAT HE CAN'T NOT HEAL. WELL WE LOVE YOU MUCH AND LIKE I SAID BEFORE IF THERE IS ANYTHING THAT YOU OR THE FAMILY NEED FROM ME AND CATMAN FEEL FREE TO CALL US UP AND WE CAN DO OUR BEST TO FORFILL YOUR WISH AS ALWAYS GOD CONTINUES TO BLESS EACH ONE OF YOU AND OUR PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. SHUN TITUS (KEVIN'S CO-WORKER AND FRIEND)

    ReplyDelete