Still nothing big to report. We hope to extubate maybe on Friday. I'm already anxious about the next attempt.
In the past couple of days, Katie has discovered the mobile I put on her crib. It has a wind-up music box on in and flowers that spin around. She likes to lay there and watch it. The therapist suggested it to improve her range of motion in turning her head. (They want her to turn her head to see toys, etc.) That's hard to do though, when she's not supposed to move her head with that breathing tube in. We're still working on her exercises. She's to the "resistance phase" as they call it. She fights me and resists when it's time to exercise. They tell me this is a good thing; that she's learning how to interact. I know it's early, but I think I'm sensing a stubborn streak....(no idea where it came from)
Tonight, I pulled out some of the photos from the first few days. I had 2 of the pictures blown up to 8x10 size a while ago. I don't know why. When I pull them out and look at them, it makes me realize how far she's come. In one of the pictures, she's laying the way she was the first time I ever saw her. When I first look at it, it still scares me. The moment when I first saw her was the best and most horrible moment of my life. I was so thankful I had her, and at the same time, terrified for her. I guess after a few days of seeing her, I accepted it. (I was going to say I got used to it, but that won't ever happen.) When I would take visitors back, I noticed how some people got a strange expression on their face and were ready to leave after just a few minutes. I didn't understand it then, but I guess it's a little shocking to see a baby like that.
One last thing- Katie's reflux has gotten better. She's getting a concoction of milk, formula, oil and Prilosec. The oil replaces some of the fortifier they had been giving her to boost the calories. It looks nasty, but she hasn't spit up near as much in the past few days. (I haven't had to do as much laundry! She was having to change clothes at every touch time--she gets 8 touch times a day!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Jessie, I know what you mean about her stubborn streak. I truly believe that is one of the reasons she is here. The first couple of days were very scary ones, mainly from not knowing what to expect. Somehow I have felt all along that Katie will be just fine. Through no fault of anyone, she simply had to arrive too soon. Giving her the time she needs to grow and get bigger is the best thing for her. We adults are the ones having the hardest time coping with the waiting. I am so glad that you get to hold her and help take care of her, but I also know you are anxious to get her home. I am praying that this time the tube will come out and stay out!
ReplyDeleteLove you three!
Mom