Since I've found so many cute little Christmas crafts on Pinterest, we got a start on them as soon as Katie was feeling up to it. Salt dough ornaments were the first on the to-do list. She's always right under my elbow when I'm cooking, so she loved getting to do it all by herself. (And sneaky teacher/mom made her count and measure. Maybe it'll stick when she gets to that unit in school...)
She was determined to use HER rolling pin at first. Notice it discarded on the floor. Her explanation was, "This is REAL dough I'm making, not KID dough, so that toy rolling pin is WRONG." Here's the almost-finished product. It amazes me how well she can follow directions when she wants to. She worked off of a picture. I did the eyes, but she painted the rest. We thought they looked okay, BUT...
(Almost) everything looks better with a touch of glitter, and I found some googly eyes. She used some of the leftovers to make a few other ornaments. A little side effect of this project is I now have the remains of a syrofoam plate stuck to my walkway out front. I put the ornaments on a strofoam plate to take them outside to seal them. Evidently, the sealer dissolves styrofoam, and does a really good job of adhering it to concrete. Maybe it'll wear off someday.

No comments:
Post a Comment