Blogger Layouts

Sunday, December 9, 2012

An Early New Year's Resolution

Since my last post was about 2 years ago, I've got a lot of catching up to do....

I've been doing some thinking lately, and among other things, I've decided to get back to doing my Katiebug Blog. Back to the hospital days, it served as a log of everything that happened, and even her baby book in ways. There have been so many funny, thoughful, memorable and surprising moments and things she's come up with, I decided I need to write them down, so I won't forget. I tried writing in a paper journal for a while, but that didn't really work out. So, it's back to the blog...

Since Katie has become a "big girl," I am struck nearly everyday by how she views the world and how simple yet intelligent she is. She is one of the sweetest, yet stubbornest children I've ever known. (Yes, I realize I'm bias, but that's just how it is.)

Last week she got in trouble for the first time at school this year. Last year, she got in trouble once. Someone at her table got in trouble for tipping back in his chair, and had to sit in timeout at recess. I'm still not sure who the mastermind was, but Katie told me the other kids at her table didn't want this boy to have to sit in timeout alone. So, the next day, the whole table kept tipping back in their chairs, and they all had to sit in timeout at recess. The day it happened, the first thing she told me was that she "got to sit on the wall at recess!" She missed the point about being punished, but she was thrilled their plan worked. Long story short, her latest brush with the discipline sheet comes down to her not wanting a little girl who gets in trouble a lot to not have any friends. I'm kind of stumped on how to proceed. I get that she wants to be a good friend, and I don't feel right telling her to not play with or speak to a classmate, but...at the same time I will not have her acting like a hoodlum. I've been talking to her about making good choices, and that whole lecture, but I don't know how much is sticking. She already has the uncanny ability to completely tune me out.

Here are some random things I don't want to forget (when I'm old):

  • Katie is perfectly content playing with her horses for as long as I'll let her. She finds nearly anything she can get her hands on to make fences and stables for her horses. She can take one of my hairbands and somehow wrap and twist it around her toy horses' heads to make halters. I've had to move my jewelry box out of reach b/c she was using the clasps on my necklaces and bracelets as lead ropes. (Because after all, REAL lead ropes have clasps, so hers must as well.)

  • She's decided she can't wear normal, plain jeans. She's decided she must have "fashion jeans." For those of you not up on 5-year-old fashion, that means skinny jeans you can tuck in your boots, with glitter, sequins or rhinestones. I think we are out of the phase of only wearing shirts that have horses on them. We've managed to add a little variety to the mix.

  • She has just now gotten to where she likes to write. She's struggled a bit with some fine motor skills. She would still rather type or text whatever she's writing, but in Kindergarten, typing your work isn't feasible.

  • She still fights to stop playing and go take a bath, yet I have to fight her to get out. Her horses even go in the tub with her. I've had to move the shampoo out of reach as well, because she was using so much washing her horses' manes and tails. Conditioner, too.


1 comment: