Blogger Layouts

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I do plan to continue posting, I just haven't had any spare time lately. Katie usually wakes up around 6 a.m. ready to go, and doesn't take a nap until around 2.
I hope I'm not creating a monster. She's gotten to the point that she cries if she can't see or hear me. When I go move laundry over or go to the bathroom, she will cry, but she's okay when she sees me again. Other times, she'll cry for no apparent reason, so I pick her up and she stops. This is happening more and more. I end up doing everything with Katie in one arm. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I waited 4 months for this. I just don't want her to be 40 lbs. and still be toting her around everywhere.

She had another check-up today. She's up to 8 lbs. 11.5 oz. I was worried she wasn't going to gain weight from last week's appointment. She's way more active at home than she was in the hospital, and up until the Friday before she was released on Monday, they would tube feed her whatever she didn't take by bottle. I finally found a nipple she will take. I had to enlarge the hole in the nipples b/c she can't quite suck like a "normal" baby. Having the in for so long caused her mouth to be a little misshapen, so she can't suck quite as hard as she needs to for some nipples. Anyhow, it took us half the week to figure this out, so I was worried she wasn't eating enough. Then, at some feedings, she acts like she's not hungry at all. We've also been having vitamin troubles. Her neonatologist wrote the order for her to get 1 mL of vitamins with one of her feeds. Each time I tried this, she threw up nearly everything. So, I tried giving her .5 mL twice. That only made her throw up everything twice. Today Dr. Clark said to try squirting it straight in her mouth between feeds. That didn't work either. She spit it out and then screamed for the better part of an hour. Tomorrow we're going to try a different formula to see if we can get rid of some of her gas troubles. (She's getting special formula for preemies, but it has so much in it, the dr. thinks it might be a little too much.) Hopefully, that will eliminate some of her crying jags.

Thanks for still checking on us!

2 comments:

  1. Please keep blogging when you have the time. You have no idea how many people have been following Katie's story! You and your family continue to be in our thoughts and our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jess,

    Invest in a good belly bag. Katie can face you, or away, and you can still move around the house. I used one with Ashley a lot. (So I could get things done, and she could know what I was doing and it left my hands free to hold Andy's) And with Jordan when she was having gas problems. (the belly to chest pressure helped sometimes, and again I could do those things like get the laundry in the washer etc)
    Super happy to hear your precious girl is still gaining weight. Sounds like she plans to make up for lost time with her Mommy one on one.

    Love you guys,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete